🥞 "Andy Chai"5 Apr, 2020
A chai tea mix named after its refiner, Andy Meyer.
Prep Time: 5m - Cook Time: 30m - Total Time: 35m - Yield: 4-6 cups
- 15 whole cloves, split
- 15 cardamom pods, shelled (keep both parts)
- 1-2 inches ginger, slices (don't need to peel)
- 1-2 star anise, crushed (keep both parts)
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 4-5 bags plain black tea
- 4-6 cups water
- Vanilla extract, sugar, honey, and/or milk, to taste
- Start water boiling over high heat
- While water is boiling, prepare spices
- When water is boiling, lower to medium-low heat, add spices, and let simmer for 25 minutes
- Add tea bags and allow to steep for another 5 minutes
- Strain the mixture into another container
- Sweeten to taste and drink when cool enough, or refrigerate
Some notes on sweetening:
- Milk will add some sweetness; you might want to under-sweeten before adding milk
- A couple popular combinations according to Andy are 50-50 milk-chai, and using heavy cream or half-and-half instead.
- If using vanilla extract, add immediately before drinking or else it’ll evaporate
Experiment! The recipe, as defined by Andy, is not exact. You may prefer more or less of some things.